Monday, January 11, 2010

Mama...


Memory Monday

Mama.....My Great Grandmother

Today's memory is actually an homage to my great-grandmother Rosa. She was born in 1895 and lived to be just 5 days short of her 104th birthday. She remained healthy and lucid until the very end. If she had not fallen and broken her hip I have no doubt she would have enjoyed a few more years with us. Rosa was an amazing woman who's whole being seemed to emit kindness. Her face was rarely seen without a smile and the warmth of her arms were legendary. To most she was just known as Mama, she mothered 6 of her own and is survived by countless grandchildren. Mama was 83 when I was born and still full of vigor, she was often left in charge of my sister and I. I have fond memories of snuggling into her lap and holding her small wrinkled hands. I often marvel at the events she witness in the century that was her life. She lived through arguable one of the most revolutionary in history. The scientific discoveries and inventions alone are mind shattering.......automobiles, television, radios, computers, walking on the moon. Then there are the social and cultural changes....women getting the right to vote, the rise and fall of communism, the civil rights movement. I honor each moment I had with her and treasure the stories she left me. Tales of her first date in a horse in buggy, getting electric lights in the house and wringing the chicken's neck for the supper pot. We still have her prized biscuit cutter...which has been sadly retired. Thank you Mama for helping to transform me into the woman I am today I can only hope to be half the woman you were!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, you made tears of joy drip from my face.