Friday, October 15, 2010

Fiber Fest


Over the weekend we attended a local Fiber Fest.  It was full of beautiful hand spun fibers, handwoven baskets and yummy wool! 


The merchants and artisans were amazing and inspiring!  T and O each got to try their hands at weaving and spinning.  T has decided he would like a spinning wheel for Christmas. 


We enjoyed watching the sheep shearing.  They all looked so skinny once they were shorn


I was amazed with the silk weaving.  It is hard to believe that such a beautiful fiber can come from such humble beginnings. 

To spin the silk cocoons they must first be soaked and degummed.  Then the magic can begin!


 O was especially taken with all the animals.  She made fast friends with the angora bunnies and the alpacas. 

How cool is this?  My friend is spinning the angora's fur as he sits patiently in her lap!

This festival was such a learning experience for us all.  I love that my children are seeing all the work that goes into the materials they use everyday.  So much of the world is oblivious to the countless hours and resources it takes to make just one t-shirt.  I'm sure we all would be less wasteful if we could see the human chain behind the products we buy and discard so nonchalantly.

4 comments:

softearthart said...

What a cool event. great pictures, cheers Marie

Rachel~At the Butterfly Ball said...

What a great opportunity for your children! I love that he said he wanted a spinning wheel for Christmas.

karen said...

wow it looks like a great day! How cool that your friend is spinning angora straight off her rabbits back lol:) And how interesting to see silk and in its original form. I would love to go to something like that!

Amanda Pedro said...

hey cool event. I have some of those silk cocoons. I think I will google it and see what happens.